Seasonal allergies, or hay-fever, affect millions of Americans each year. While these symptoms are uncomfortable and annoying many more Americans suffer from chronic sensitivities and allergies, with both immediate and classic reactions to those with more difficult to recognize delayed reactions.
Allergies are not caused by allergens such as pollens, house mites, dust or other substances. While it is true that these substances trigger an allergic response the underlying cause is a malfunctioning immune system. Basically what occurs in an allergic response is that the immune system identifies the harmless allergen and tries to destroy it. The allergic symptoms that many are so familiar with (runny nose, watery eyes, etc) are direct signs that the immune system is trying to destroy these harmless substances. The body is unable to differentiate this type of immunologic mayhem from the stress put on the immune system by infection. Infections in the body are often sub-clinical, are missed because do not exhibit the symptoms of a full-blown infection. In many cases of sub-clinical infection, the infection(s) have been present for extended periods of time and directly contribute to immune dysfunction and allergies. Many auto-immune diseases can be viewed as a severe form of allergy where the immune system attacks its owner.
Allergies result from an abnormally high sensitivity to a normally harmless substance. There are multiple descriptive terms for types of allergies such as: Chemical sensitivities, Food sensitivities, Environmental Illnesses or Intolerances. At the most basic level, an allergy is simply a reaction to something that doesn’t necessarily affect other people.
A person may be allergic to virtually any item; usually an allergic person will be allergic to multiple items.
Common allergens include:
- Drinking water
- Electromagnetic Radiation
- Environmental Chemicals such as paint, gasoline, cleaners
- Chemicals such as formaldehyde, ammonia, etc.
- Artificial food additives
- Natural gas
- Yeast or Fungi
- Environment- dust, pollens, grass, trees
Traditional medicine and natural medicine have vastly differing views, consequently their methods of treatment are vastly different. Traditional medicine will treat allergies with Immunotherapy (allergy) shots, antihistamine drugs, antibiotics if there is an underlying infection, and as a last resort a medical doctor will prescribe a cortisone type drug such as Prednisone. We all know people who have had allergy shots for years with some mild or minimal improvement.
Antihistamine drugs, while often very effective, are not much more than a band-aid as they only manage the symptoms rather than solving the problem. Treating the underlying infection is essential, but anti-biotics have many problems such as disruption of the beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract. Finally, cortisone type drugs are undeniably effective, and work very rapidly. Unfortunately cortisone drugs have an extensive and severe list of side effects. Cortisone drugs work by supplying the body with a hormone called cortisone which is an essential hormone made by the body’s adrenal glands. Cortisone controls the body’s allergic response and inflammation. Unfortunately, long term usage of cortisone from a source outside of the body depresses the body’s own ability to produce cortisone and often makes it difficult to discontinue the drug and stay off.
As your wellness doctor in Austin, we will work with you to manage and eliminate your allergies with several methods.
Steps to overcoming allergies:
- Heal and Repair the digestive tract. We can evaluate and recommend nutrients to heal and repair the digestive tract. Candida, a yeast, can also be a contributor to allergies and sensitivities especially food sensitivities. Total Enzymes, Total Probitoics are essential for all who suffer from allergies. Other nutrients such as Total Yeast Redux and Total Upper GI may also be suggested.
- Lifestyle eating modifications. Avoiding sugar, fruit juices (especially for children), wheat and white flour, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils and pasteurized dairy products is almost always helpful.
- Decrease the Inflammatory response. We live in a society where many of the foods we eat actually contribute to inflammation and poor health. Avoiding all the foods listed in step 2 will significantly reduce systemic inflammation and remove a burden from the immune system. Nutritionally support the health of your cells and naturally decrease inflammation with American Heart Association endorsed Omega-3 Essential Oils. Our favorites are Super EPA and Complete Omega Essentials.
- A/SERT ( Allergy/Sensitivity Elimination Technique). A revolutionary treatment system based on the principles of Chiropractic, Acupuncture and Muscle Response Testing. This technique was developed by Dr. John Brimhall which can bring about dramatic improvement – at times even total elimination – for all types of allergies. It is simple, non-invasive and extremely effective. It is currently practiced by hundreds of health practitioners, including MDs, nurses, acupuncturists, chiropractors and dentists. As your wellness practitioner we stimulate key points along the patient’s spine while the patient is holding the allergen. We stimulate certain meridian points, specific organs and lobes of the brain with a Cold Laser. A chemical change takes place in the autonomic nervous system, neutralizing any allergic reaction to the substance. A/SERT reprograms the brain and the nervous system, and eliminates your body’s conditioned response to the allergen. Environmental medicine has been dealing with hidden allergies for several decades. You try to avoid the allergenic substance in your life, you go on a rotation diet, and maybe you can manage. But with A/SERT you can continue to have contact with the very substance that made you sick.
- Manage the stress monster! Stress hormones wreck havoc in the body and especially in the immune system. Learn methods of stress management such as meditation, taking time for you and just simply learning to say NO to the stuff that is not truly in line with your goals and values. Nutritionally support the stress response in your body with DSF (De-Stress Formula). We can also monitor your cortisol levels (stress hormone) with a simple saliva test and make nutritional and lifestyle recommendations based upon the results.
- Detoxification. As your wellness practitioner we will use several different methods of detoxifying the body. Often times allergies are worsened by toxins within the body. Detox considerations will include nutritional supplements, homeopathic remedies, and the EB Energy Balancer detoxifying footbath. The EB Energy Balancer was designed and developed to restore the body’s energy and balance while facilitating and aiding in its natural detoxification process. This device has been proven in clinical trials to balance and restore the body’s Ph and electromagnetic energy. Nutritional recommendations may include Total Liver D-tox or Total Systemic D-tox to detoxify the system and Total Veggie or Total Chelate to further detoxify. We may also recommend a homeopathic heavy metal remedy to move heavy metals out of the system.
- Acupuncture. According to Oriental Medicine, allergic rhinitis is related to Wind and a deficiency of the Protective Wei Qi. Wei Qi is the Qi, or energy, that flows at the surface of the body as a protective sheath and is responsible for resistance to colds and other respiratory infections. People with a deficiency of Wei Qi catch colds easily and are more susceptible to allergens. When treating with acupuncture, underlying imbalances within the body are addressed and a treatment plan is developed to relieve the acute symptoms of allergic rhinitis while also treating the root problems that are contributing to the body’s reaction to allergens.
You do not have to live with Allergies or Auto-immune disorders. There is a simple solution.